Pages

 photo img_03.jpg  photo img_04.jpg  photo img_06.jpg  photo img_05.jpg  photo img_07.jpg

"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." - James Beard


AOL Ad

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Slow Cooker Pot Roast


I've made pot roast in the crock pot before and it is still, by far, my most popular post ever.  That version had a lot of liquid, as do most pot roast recipes I've seen.  But this recipe from Martha Stewart has only a few tablespoons of liquid.  I turned it on before work and, to be honest, I worried all day that it would be all dried out when I got home.  But slow cookers are magical things.  Lots of juices came out of the roast and made a lovely jus that kept the meat moist and was delicious over the meat.  

Here's all you need:



A 3 pound pot roast, trimmed of excess fat.  I used a blade roast but a chuck roast is good too.
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 large carrots
1 large onion
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

I really liked this recipe, not only because it tasted great, but it is one of the easiest slow-cooker recipes I've seen.  In the morning, I don't always have the time or inclination to brown the meat and mix a sauce before starting the slow cooker.  This recipe didn't need that at all.  Just chop the veggies, season the meat and leave it alone.


Sprinkle the cornstarch in the slow cooker and stir in 2 tablespoons of cold water until smooth.


Peel and roughly chop the carrots and onion and add to the pot.  Season with salt and pepper.  


Season the beef with salt and pepper and add it to the pot.


Drizzle the Worcestershire sauce over the meat.

And, believe it or not, that's it!  Cover, set the slow cooker to low and let it cook for 10 hours.  Or you can put it on high for 6 hours if that works better for you.

After all that, you get this:


The blade roast had a lot of fat on it, so I had to skim the fat off the sauce before serving. 


I removed the roast and veggies to make that easier to skim the sauce.  I sliced the meat thickly.


I also made some mashed potatoes to go with the meat and gravy.


And served up the carrots and onions alongside.  Plus some steamed green beans.

I can't get over how so little effort and few ingredients created such a beautiful, hearty, tasty meal.  We had lots of beef left over for another meal later in the week.  It's different than other crock pot pot roast recipes I've seen, but it was fantastic.  


No comments:

Post a Comment