Pages

 photo img_03.jpg  photo img_04.jpg  photo img_06.jpg  photo img_05.jpg  photo img_07.jpg

"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." - James Beard


AOL Ad

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Cauliflower with Easy Cheese Sauce


I'm still trying to cook locally and seasonally, even as it becomes slightly more difficult as the weather gets cold.  We still have lots of local cauliflower in the market though.  I love to roast it, but this simple cheese sauce really makes steamed cauliflower special.


Normally, I make a cheese sauce starting with a roux (flour cooked in butter), then heat milk and remove from heat and add the cheese.  But this sauce uses corn starch and evaporated milk.  I used 7 year old cheddar (!) and fat free evaporated milk, but you can use the cheese and milk-fat level of your choice.



Shred about 8 ounces (226g) of cheese and toss it with a tablespoon of corn starch.  My cheddar was so old I could barely shred it, it mostly crumbled.  That's why I was inspired to make this sauce - because I couldn't slice it up and eat it!


Then add the can of evaporated milk to the cheese and warm over low heat, cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.


Keep stirring until the sauce is bubbly and thickened.  


Meanwhile, steam the cauliflower florets.  I have an electric steamer I've used at least 3 times a week for 10 years to steam veggies and cook rice.  You can steam it on the stovetop if you prefer.  


Drizzle the warm cheese sauce over the cauliflower.


I served this with grilled beef skewers and snow peas.


The sauce is so easy and tasty, and it keeps really well.  You can refrigerate it and reheat it later.  You can also splash in a bit of hot sauce or dijon mustard for a little extra flavour.  

No comments:

Post a Comment