Pages

 photo img_03.jpg  photo img_04.jpg  photo img_06.jpg  photo img_05.jpg  photo img_07.jpg

"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." - James Beard


AOL Ad

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lamb Kofta


I've wanted to make kofta for a long time.  It's intriguing.  It's sort of like a little burger or meatloaf grilled on a skewer.  Ground lamb is not easy to find in my local supermarkets but I did find some at my local farmers market last weekend.  I thought it would be delicious with some middle eastern spices and I was right.  You can also use ground beef if that's what you have. 

This recipe comes from Vikram Vij whose Vancouver restaurant I hope to visit one day.  
Here's what you need:



1 pound lean ground lamb
2 hot peppers
1 inch fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic


½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
¼ teaspoon garam masala
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons flour
1 medium onion, finely grated




I chopped the peppers, garlic and ginger in a little food processor.  


I did 3 chili peppers and it was a little much.  You can also substitute cayenne instead of fresh chilis.  


Mix the chili-garlic-ginger mixture and the spices in with the lamb.  


Then add in the chopped cilantro and the Worcestershire sauce and a little flour.  


Grate the onion into the meat.  This is a pain in the butt, quite frankly.  Grating it adds moisture to the mixture but next time I might just throw it into the food processor with the garlic and chilis.  


Now gently mix it all together until combined.  Let it rest in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavours combine.


Divide the meat into four portions and shape it into a sausage like shape.  Thread it onto metal skewers or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water.  I used these double skewers which worked well to balance the weight of the ground meat. 


Finish skewering the meat.


Heat your grill and add the meat skewers.


Turn and grill for about 10 minutes until cooked through.


I served these with two fresh, tasty salads I'll tell you about next time.  I also grilled some fresh pita bread and dolloped some tzatziki on top, which was a great combination.  Try this with lamb or beef and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment