Pages

 photo img_03.jpg  photo img_04.jpg  photo img_06.jpg  photo img_05.jpg  photo img_07.jpg

"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." - James Beard


AOL Ad

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Hoisin Short Ribs

This Eat, Write, Retreat contest from Canadian Beef has really inspired me to cook more beef this week!  I found some well-priced beef short ribs at the grocery store and decided to create an Asian style glaze to braise them in.  I found a stewing/braising lesson at www.beefinfo.org and used that to create my recipe.  




Hoisin sauce is a thick, sweet soy-based sauce that was the main ingredient in my braise.




Along with orange juice, soy sauce, beef stock, onions, garlic and ginger.  




I cut the short ribs into sections and browned them in a mix of olive oil and sesame oil. 




I used my beloved enameled cast iron pot to brown the ribs, giving them a nice brown crust.



I removed the ribs and added the onions, garlic and ginger to the pot.




I sauted the onions garlic and ginger until softened, then added the beef stock to deglaze the pan.




Then I added the soy sauce, orange juice and hoisin sauce, creating enough liquid to submerge the ribs.  




Add the delicious browned ribs back into the braising liquid.




Then cover the pot and place in a 350 degree oven for about 2 hours until the ribs are wonderfully tender.  




Skim the fat from the top of the braise before serving, or you can even place the pot into the refrigerator over night, then remove the fat and rewarm the ribs. 




I served the ribs over mashed celeriac, sprinkled with chopped scallions and with steamed sugar snap peas on the side.  This was an easy and delicious meal and the sauce tasted incredible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment